We had our first mettings today with Marie Bouche, who is the program director for Angouleme. At the office we met with a man from Social Security who explained us the benefits of our contract and then we had a housing insurance meeting. We also received our assignments and schedule and it looks like I have a very doable one. Mondays I have a class from 2:30-315. Tuesday: 1h30 - 4h15. Wednesday: Off. Thursday: 9h00-11h45. Friday: 9h00-11h45 and 3h45-4h30. Tough.
When I got back to the apartment I took care of some housekeeping items, like getting the keys that they gave me straightened out so I didn't get locked out of the building again. After that i called up the golf course that is around the corner and made a tee time for 4:00 pm. It was beautiful today and perfect gold weather. Unfortunately when I got there, the lady only then told me that they did not have any lefty clubs to borrow except for a 5 iron and a 7 iron. I said what the heck and made the most of it and decided to get a small basket of range balls and borrowed the two clubs. Unfortunately I didn't have a glove with me and my hands were rather sweaty (shocker), which made it pretty difficult to hit the ball, but it still felt good to be back out on the links and hitting the ball. After a few warm-up shots, my swing felt good again and I was hitting the ball pretty much straight. Golfing is definitely one thing I miss from the summer, especially after having so much fun golfing with my Dad before I left. But it just means that I will just have to practice hard again next summer.
As I left the gold course, I came around the bend and saw the most beautiful view of Angouleme. It looks exactly as it did here on the Wikipedia page:
As I stood there smiling and feeling content, it dawned on me that this is going to be home for the next 7 months. Not bad!
I walked back from the golf course and made a pit-stop at the grocery store where I bought some laundry detergent and hopefully will get some laundry done tonight. I also successfully registered for my Intermarche valued customer card, which is just like a VIC card at Harris Teeter. Aside from that, it was just a pretty normal day. I am gradually adjusting to life in Angouleme, and I must say that I am very optimistic about my time here. Esven and I are looking at joining a club soccer team to possibly meet some people, and I might join a basketball team as well. I might not be the busiest person with my work schedule, but I will be able to focus on some new exciting things. I think we might head to Cognac on Wednesday to do some tasting, but we will see if that plan evolves. All in all, i'd have to say that life is good on this side of the pond.

No comments:
Post a Comment