Friday, November 25, 2011
Happy Turkey Day
Not being with your family on Thanksgiving sucks. There really is no other way to say it. It stinks would be an understatement. So pardon my crude language but it really sucks. That being said, I made the most out of my Thursday afternoon and cooked a big feast with Esven. We bought a cooked chicken from the supermarket and warmed it up in a pan, made some macaroni and cheese with ham in it, some string beans, mashed potatoes, and some Bordeaux wine. Yeah, it was not your traditional feast with a ton of people, but to be honest it was pretty fun. We ate for about an hour straight and then watched some football via streaming on the computer. While it wasn't my ideal Thanksgiving, it was a memorable Thanksgiving to me because it was one that truly showed me what I was thankful for. No, I didn't get to eat my mom's stuffing. No, I didn't get to eat three plates of food and not have to worry about doing the dishes. No, I didn't get to plop down on the couch after eating and watch some football in between naps next to my grandpa. No, I didn't get to enjoy some warm pie. No, I didn't get to enjoy the company of my family under the roof of my own home. And yes, I did really miss all those things a lot. But I will not worry, because tonight I am leaving on a train at 7:00 p.m. to go to Limoges. A friend of mine from UVA, Heather, who is doing the same program has an apartment there. I am going to stay there for the week and she is hosting a Thanksgiving feast at her apartment tomorrow night. There will be plenty of people, food, and drinks. And I really am looking forward to it a lot. Not only am I going to see a new place, but also I am going to be able to have a little bit of Thanksgiving that I missed yesterday. It's different and it's strange to participate in things like this, but it is also comforting knowing that all the people that will be there are experiencing the same thing as I am. It will be my first of a few Thanksgivings away from home, and I guess when you know what you are really thankful for it sort of makes the holiday a little more difficult when you are away from home. But I am really looking forward to this weekend and some good food and company. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment