Friday, September 30, 2011

First impressions

I got here and really didn't know what to expect.  I figured a town of roughly 40,000 people would simply be a small town with not much of anything to do at all.  However, I was pleasantly surprised.  Today, I woke up at 9:00 (yes, i know a miracle for me but i set an alarm - something i discovered is helpful) and looked out my window to see a farmer's market.  I could hear men's and women's voices negotiating with their customers and the words of all different kinds of French non-sense coming at me.  It made me smile. Waking up to something so different and unfamiliar is strange, but that is why I am here.  To take advantage of something that is unfamiliar and make it familiar. So far, I have embraced the challenges.  For example, yesterday I opened a bank account and that was a difficult task.  I also purchased my train pass, which makes the prices for traveling a lot less and saves me a lot of money.  Thirdly, I purchased a new sim chip for my telephone so I now have a working French cell phone.  These were all in someway or another difficult, but they did not pose terrible challenges to me, because surprisingly (and much to my delight) my french is still pretty solid even though I took a semester off.  The people of Angouleme seem to be pretty friendly.  Asking directions or for help is never an imposition on anyone.  The people in stores and restaurants are quick to help, correct my pronunciation, and just inquire about where I am from and why I am here.  I think I am going to really enjoy living here.  It seems like a large enough place that I will not run out of things that will keep me occupied, but it is not overwhelmingly big so I will be very comfortable here after 7 months.


The housing situation was questionable at first, but now I am extremely satisfied.  We were placed in a dorm at a local high school, but the dorm that we are living in actually happens to be a separate tower than the rest of the high schoolers.  I have a room to myself and share a common shower and bathroom with two other people on my floor.  Next to our dorm is a supermarket, a bank, post office, laundry mat, dry cleaning, and a convenience store.  There is literally everything we need just in a small radius so I do not se any reason to search for another type of accommodation.  I am not sleeping on a Paramount bed per-say, but it will have to do for 7 months.  The rent is cheap and the meals at the cafeteria are cheap as well so it makes sense.  Also, if I am inclined to cook, the kitchen area in our dorm is equipped with a nice set of hot plates and a microwave so we have plenty of cooking instruments to use.
I found out from the principal of the elementary school that I will be working at that Angouleme is known for its production of Cognac.  That was great news, because between the Cognac and the Bordeaux region for wines, I think I will be exposed to a whole new genre of drinks.  Which reminds me, I went to the grocery store this morning and went into the win section and couldn't help but start laughing.  I was looking at bottles of wine from Bordeaux for 3 or 4 euros. And no, that is not a typo.  I purchased a bottle of wine from Bordeaux for 4 euros.  Now, I have not had the opportunity to open it yet, but I cannot imagine that I am going to dislike it.


The weather in this region is absolutely gorgeous.  The days have been in the high 70s and low 80s and the nights have been cooler as in the low 60s.  There is always a nice breeze blowing and there has not been a cloud in the sky today.  I could get used to this! Now, there might be a little snow in the winter, but I think I can handle that for weather that is like this at the beginning of October.


First Impresssion:  Angouleme has certainly done the impressing so far.  While it is not the most beautiful city I have been to, I know I am going to enjoy living here.  Tomorrow, I am taking off for the beach before the "real work" starts on Monday.  More to come next week, but so far so good.  I definitely miss being in the United States, but this opportunity has been so exciting and new to me so far, that I do not think about how much I miss home yet.  I am sure as a begin to settle in though and get adjusted to life her that I will begin to miss the comforts of everyday life in the States.  But then again, I might not get used to this in a mere 7 months.  Every corner I turn and every look out I come to is always something new and exciting.  I think I can get used to the fact that I am going to be here and exploring for a while.  But for now it is time to go back outside and enjoy the weather.  

No comments:

Post a Comment